Busters Discount Tree Service, Clarksdalle, Mississippi
Newson Center, Clarksdale, Mississippi
Luckett Law Firm PA, Clarksdale. Mississippi.

Home » Daily News Updates » 2 Day in Civil Rights: White minister beaten, dies on Edmund Pettus Bridge 2 Day in Civil Rights: White minister beaten, dies on Edmund Pettus Bridge

From 2019 EJI Calendar

1965: Reverend James Reeb, a supporter of black voting rights, dies two days after he is beaten by angry white mob in Selma, Alabama.

From EJI Timeline

White Minister Beaten Following Selma March, Dies from Injuries

Rev. James Reeb, Selma, Alabama.

Rev. James Reeb, Selma, Alabama. ( Image | Encyclopedia of Alabama)

In early March 1965, a peaceful crowd of 600 people began a protest march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, to show their support for black voting rights. Police armed with batons, pepper spray, and guns attacked the marchers on Selma’s Edmund Pettus Bridge in a violent assault that came to be known as “Bloody Sunday.”

After the attack, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and other organizers remained determined to complete the march. Dr. King urged clergy to come to Selma and join the march to Montgomery. Hundreds of clergy from across the country heeded the call and traveled to Selma; one of them was Reverend James Reeb, a 38-year-old white Unitarian minister from Boston.

On March 9th, Dr. King led 2,500 marchers onto the Edmund Pettus Bridge for a short prayer session. That evening, three white ministers–Orloff Miller, Clark Olsen, and James Reeb–were attacked and beaten by a group of white men opposed to their civil rights work. Struck in the head with a club, Rev. Reeb suffered a severe skull fracture and brain damage.

Fearing that he would not be treated at the “white only” Selma Hospital, doctors at Selma’s black Burwell Infirmary ordered Rev. Reeb rushed to the Birmingham hospital. After a series of unfortunate events, including car trouble and confrontations with local police, Rev. Reeb reached the hospital in Birmingham in critical condition. He died on March 11, 1965, leaving behind his wife and four children. Three white men later indicted for Rev. Reeb’s murder were ultimately acquitted by an all-white jury.

More widely reported than the death of local black activist Jimmie Lee Jackson a few weeks earlier, Rev. Reeb’s death brought national attention to the voting rights struggle. The death also moved President Lyndon B. Johnson to call a special session of Congress, where he urged legislators to pass the Voting Rights Act. Congress did so, and President Johnson signed the act into law in August 1965.

Today’s articles:

Brad Fair’s touching tribute to Daye5 Hill

Moon Lake recreational boating suspended until water recedes

NBC television series being filmed in Oxford

Stone Pony this week

Daily Updates

Straight to your inbox – never miss a thing!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.